Maffra and District Historical Society

M&DHS operates the Maffra Sugar Beet Museum, part of the Local History Collection at the Maffra Library, and a Dairy Museum at the Robotic Dairy at Winnindoo.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Victoria, Australia

Sunday, September 11, 2011

Why We Have Street Lighting

STREET LAMPS

TO THE EDITOR OF THE MAFFRA SPECTATOR

Sir, -- In your valuable columns allow me to vent my wrath, created by stumbling over a cow, which was lying stretched across the footpath in our main street on Thursday evening last ; the animal, although unconscious of the damage which it might have caused me, and the fright given, should not have been there, or at least some light might be given to show one such obstacles in the middle of the township. The footpaths are often the nightly resting place of cows and horses, and one is often in danger of running against an animal in the dark. I wish to suggest that a few lamps should be erected in the principal street by the Shire Council, in order to protect, as far as possible, some unfortunate from becoming the victim of any serious mishap.

I am, yours truly,

INJURED.

Maffra, 4th May, 1883.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home